QUESTIONING ENCOURAGED

phobias

Avalon

phobias

Post  Avalon on Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:06 pm

Do people have phobias because they were a part of survival instincts or just cause? If so how does a fear of large words(Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia) or fear of strings(Linonophobia) happen. Spiders, snakes, water,people etc I can understand but after a while are people just making this up or do these phobias have a purpose?...I can't see how they help

also fun fact: there is such a thing as a fear of trees so before you ask someone," If a tree falls but no one is able to hear it....." make sure you find out if the very thought would terrify them! Surprised
    C. Scottie

Re: phobias

Post  C. Scottie on Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:33 pm

We had a discussion along these lines once in Psych. I believe it came down to direct fears and linking fears, barring abnormalities that are in the brain. The difference between them being, say... a person who is terrified of heights, like myself, is terrified because of something that happened directly involving heights. I fell from a large distance and hurt myself badly, therefore, it is natural for me to fear heights. The alternative possibility is when someone is scared of something that would not generally be considered a threat, not because of the item itself, but because of a deep psychological link between the item and a real fear. Someone might have a phobia of yarn, not because yarn is some new horror, but because their grandmother loved knitting, and their grandmother was terrifying. Coming up with an example of linking fears is difficult, but I think I got my idea across.

And then yeah, some people are ridiculous and make up fears and phobias because they have other mental conditions that demand attention.
    she

Post  she on Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:04 pm

How about micromelanovenustraphobia, Avalon? Wink

And FEAR ME!!! I AM THE BRINGER OF LINONOPHOBIA!!!! (string was the closest I could get to yarn -_^)

Isn't the point of phobias that they are... irrational? There isn't a point to them... it's just one of those weird traits some people have: liking vegimite, or masochism, or the intense fear of the number 13. :/
    C. Scottie

Post  C. Scottie on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:18 pm

I thought the idea of phobias wasn't that they themselves are irrational, as much as it is that the fear is so intense that it is irrational? Or is that saying the same thing? It seems different to me...
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:28 pm

OP reply: phobias tend to arise from primal instincts we still have not gotten rid of. That's why we fear snakes (reptiles) and spiders (venomous buggers that are strange). We fear the night because the scary creatures outside the cave hunted often during that time. Closed spaces make us think of being trapped or eaten.

It's all very primal.
    Avalon

Post  Avalon on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:55 am

that's what I thought or at least what i remember from pysch F.M.H.B. I guess I just don't get why are there so many? just cause?
    she

Post  she on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:58 pm

I bet a lot of them don't manifest more than a couple times, but we like to have long lists of big words (I have to say, I was disappointed that there wasn't one for yarn specifically >.<)
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:03 pm

You'd be surprised. Psychology has entire wing devoted to studying what makes us fear things. Some phobias are very unknown as of yet.
    HolyArchangel

Post  HolyArchangel on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:26 pm

A lot of good answers are brought up in this thread. None of them false either. Phobias are irrational and mysterious. As to what phobias are derived from are the mystery. The possibilities of what could cause phobias are endless. From ancestral instinct to classical conditioning, it could be anything. I remember in Psych class when our professor explained a classical conditioning experiment done on a child. The experiment was exposing the child to a rabbit and then creating a sound that surprises the child. After numerous trials, the kid finally started to develop a fear of the rabbit; the kid expressed a type of timidness you would expect from someone who is exposed to their fears. Eventually, it got to the point where the kid developed a phobia of the rabbit and could not stand being in the same room as the rabbit.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:34 am

I still find the Little Albert experiment (the one you described) disturbing and wrong in a lot of ways. sure, he eventually "got over it" as most conditioning ends without reinforcement especially when young, but it's still wrong.

Phobias are interesting. Most of our conditioning comes from ancestral ties. They're one and the same. So deep were they impressed upon our psyche for so long that they still have not worn off. It is a system of trauma not unlike the fierce rivalries we see in Sri Lanka and Israel. Trauma is very misunderstood. I think phobias stem a lot from it.
    HolyArchangel

Post  HolyArchangel on Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:49 am

I agree. The experiment was inhumane, as well as wrong. But, sometimes the best of conclusions derive from the worst of conclusions.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. on Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:03 am

No.
    HolyArchangel

Post  HolyArchangel on Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:28 am

What do you mean no?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content