QUESTIONING ENCOURAGED


    Talking About Books

    Share
    avatar
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

    Posts : 700
    Join date : 2010-06-11

    Re: Talking About Books

    Post  F.M.H.B. on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:34 pm

    Dude, if you're going the way of Art, then you gotta read Maus. You have to. It's beautiful.
    avatar
    asdfasdf

    Posts : 51
    Join date : 2010-07-13
    Age : 27
    Location : The thriving metropolis of Spanaway Washington

    Re: Talking About Books

    Post  asdfasdf on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:40 pm

    F.M.H.B. wrote:Dude, if you're going the way of Art, then you gotta read Maus. You have to. It's beautiful.

    I don't particularly like his style in this novel, but I really do appreciate the symbolism. But the story line is my favorite. :P
    avatar
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

    Posts : 700
    Join date : 2010-06-11

    Re: Talking About Books

    Post  F.M.H.B. on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:43 pm

    I can appreciate that.
    avatar
    asdfasdf

    Posts : 51
    Join date : 2010-07-13
    Age : 27
    Location : The thriving metropolis of Spanaway Washington

    Re: Talking About Books

    Post  asdfasdf on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:45 pm

    F.M.H.B. wrote:I can appreciate that.

    There's a lot of appreciation in these last 3 posts, I appreciate that.
    avatar
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

    Posts : 700
    Join date : 2010-06-11

    Re: Talking About Books

    Post  F.M.H.B. on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:46 pm

    Hey, I think that's pretty appreciable. I appreciate that.
    avatar
    asortafairytale

    Posts : 119
    Join date : 2010-07-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Maryland

    Re: Talking About Books

    Post  asortafairytale on Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:23 pm

    ChocolatLobshta wrote:
    Watchmen by Alan Moore. The book was much more interesting and reflective than the movie (which I still thought was a good movie).

    Ooh! I just read that recently. I liked the ending a lot better than in the movie, but I still think they're both pretty good.

    I meant to do a lot more intellectual reading this summer...instead I've read only pulp fiction scifi, Stephen King and graphic novels. Oh well. :/
    avatar
    hippiefly

    Posts : 233
    Join date : 2010-06-11
    Age : 99
    Location : Behind the Laptop

    Re: Talking About Books

    Post  hippiefly on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:32 pm

    ChocolatLobshta wrote:A novel both entertaining and enlightening: Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi... I think that's how you spell it.

    Don't watch the movie, Persepolis. Does NOT do the book justice. It is a FANTASTIC read, though. Although, if you insist on the movie, watch it in its original French.

    I also own the book if anyone wants to borrow it. I do believe I borrowed it from a friend though and always forgot to give it back. :/
    avatar
    asdfasdf

    Posts : 51
    Join date : 2010-07-13
    Age : 27
    Location : The thriving metropolis of Spanaway Washington

    Re: Talking About Books

    Post  asdfasdf on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:15 am

    Hippiefly wrote:
    ChocolatLobshta wrote:A novel both entertaining and enlightening: Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi... I think that's how you spell it.

    Don't watch the movie, Persepolis. Does NOT do the book justice. It is a FANTASTIC read, though. Although, if you insist on the movie, watch it in its original French.

    I also own the book if anyone wants to borrow it. I do believe I borrowed it from a friend though and always forgot to give it back. :/

    Completely disagree. The movie was great, and in some ways enlightened and educated me more on what Satrapi was trying to symbolize in her story.
    avatar
    asdfasdf

    Posts : 51
    Join date : 2010-07-13
    Age : 27
    Location : The thriving metropolis of Spanaway Washington

    Re: Talking About Books

    Post  asdfasdf on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:17 am

    asortafairytale wrote:
    ChocolatLobshta wrote:
    Watchmen by Alan Moore. The book was much more interesting and reflective than the movie (which I still thought was a good movie).

    Ooh! I just read that recently. I liked the ending a lot better than in the movie, but I still think they're both pretty good.

    I meant to do a lot more intellectual reading this summer...instead I've read only pulp fiction scifi, Stephen King and graphic novels. Oh well. :/

    I feel your pain. Pulp fiction scifi is my break from text books and internet articles that I have to slave over during the school year.
    avatar
    SeaBeard

    Posts : 3
    Join date : 2010-08-05

    Re: Talking About Books

    Post  SeaBeard on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:25 pm

    There is a grouping of 80 short stories called flash fiction forward. Each story is like 3 pages long. There were a few stories in there that changed my opinion on a lot of stuff.

    Of course there are poetry books.

    Leaves of grass is a classic.

    Anything by bukowski (Although I like his novels better, ham on rye was like "the world is a ugly place" 101 for me.)

    Pole dancing to gospel hyms by Andrea Gibson gave me the social and political voice I needed.

    Some they cant contain by Buddy Wakefeild is just a view of the world we could all benefit from understanding.

    The Last American Valentine is a group of anti love poem love poems. The concept itself is incredible.

    karatebabs

    Posts : 5
    Join date : 2010-06-12
    Location : Tacoma WA

    The Grapes of Wrath or Three Cups of Tea

    Post  karatebabs on Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:38 am

    As I have not read The Republic I would vote for the Grapes of Wrath or Three Cups of Tea

    Sponsored content

    Re: Talking About Books

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:40 pm