QUESTIONING ENCOURAGED

Semantics

she

Semantics

Post  she on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:20 am

When you start to use buzz words like "slavery," "made-up," and "evil," then yes, your argument is in fact full of bias and hate.

Not to mention that the word slavery means an indentured servitude, usually for life, wherein the slave holder OWNS the person. It's not broad; it's very specific. I'm sorry, I don't know what wacked-out churches YOU have been to, but that is not how it works.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Re: Semantics

Post  F.M.H.B. on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:50 am

The beauty of language is its multi-facetedness. It allows for interpretation and, a favorite of yours. subjectivity.

Slavery is any form of control. That's how I use the word, and I told you that.

Intention and meaning is often lost through such tubes. My use of the word evil is very different from your's again, probably.

As for made-up. That's an opinion. But opinions are allowed.

I don't hate religion.
    asortafairytale

Post  asortafairytale on Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:28 pm

I would probably have to agree that you should consider the common connotations that others might get from your choice of words. I could assign any meaning I want to a word, but if everyone else has a different meaning, then that is the definition they will think of.
    It is difficult to argue that "slavery" or "evil" do not have very negative or hateful meanings associated with them...
    But I can also understand that your purpose could have gotten skewed because of poor word choice.
    F.M.H.B.
    Admin

Post  F.M.H.B. on Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:39 pm

Agreed. They do have negative connotations, often hateful, and if we do start changing around the meaning of standardized words language becomes lost. We cannot communicate.

But that's not what I did. I used two words in one of their other contexts (as words do carry different meanings depending on situation, intention, context, and use) to make a point in supposrt of my argument. I wasn't angry. I wasn't brazenly hating on religion. I'm not just ill informed, biased and crazy for my own opinion.

I contributed and tried to provoke thought. I provoked more. That's not my problem.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:24 pm